Howard Phillips Lovecraft
The finest modern master of weird fiction since Poe, Howard Phillips Lovecraft (1890-1937) had less than auspicious origins. Born in Rhode Island, where he spent most of his forty-six years, Lovecraft was only two when his father died in a mental home, and he himself was none too robust as a child. Due to "headaches" and other ailments, Lovecraft missed a lot of school, and only managed to complete two-and-a-half years of high school (where he discovered Poe and developed a lifelong interest in the sciences) before a "nervous collapse" forced him to withdraw. Read more about H.P. Lovecraft ...
Early in his writing career, just after World War I, H.P. Lovecraft recognized that, in an increasingly technological world based on science, the old horror story themes (ghosts, witches, vampires, werewolves, demons, and the like) just wouldn't do any longer. For, by the 1920's, many readers had become too realistic, too skeptical, to "believe" in them anymore. So something new was needed. Some kind of hybrid supernatural tale combining eerie chills with scientific plausibility. And that's exactly what Lovecraft came up with in his "Mythos" stories, many of which (between the 1920's and 1930's) first appeared in the now legendary pulp magazine WEIRD TALES. Read more about HP Lovecrafts Mythos...
HP Lovecraft Stories in Pulp Fiction Magazine Replicas
Read HP Lovecraft in the original with these Weird Tales page for page magazine replicas.
- Weird Tales: February 1924: "The Hound"
- Weird Tales: November 1924: "To a Dreamer" (Poem)
- Weird Tales: January 1925: "The Festival"
- Weird Tales: February 1925: "The Statement of Randolph Carter"
- Weird Tales: July 1925: "The Unnameable"
- Weird Tales: September 1925: "The Temple"
- Weird Tales: April 1926: "The Outsider" plus "Wolfshead" by Robert E. Howard
- Weird Tales: January 1927: "The Horror at Red Hook" plus "The Lost Race" by Robert E. Howard.
- Weird Tales: February 1928: "Call of Cthulhu" and "The Dream Snake" by Robert E. Howard.
H.P. Lovecraft Books For Sale
- Available in Fanzine
- Medusa: A Portrait by H.P. Lovecraft
- Available in Hardback
- Arkham's Masters of Horror by Peter Ruber
- Shadows Over Innsmouth by H.P. Lovecraft
- Tales of the Cthulhu Mythos by H.P. Lovecraft
- Tales of the Lovecraft Mythos
- Available in Magazine
- Replica: Weird Tales #12 April, 1924 by Girasol
- Available in Paperback
- A Subtler Magick: The Writings and Philosophy of H.P. Lovecraft by S.T. Joshi
- At the Mountains of Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
- Cthulhu 2000
- Supernatural Horror in Literature by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Doom That Came to Sarnath by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Dream Cycle of H.P. Lovecraft by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Dunwich Cycle
- The Road to Madness by H.P. Lovecraft
- The Tomb and Other Tales by H.P. Lovecraft